Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Yellow Girl.

Yellow girl  - Acrylic and marker on canvas

A couple of months ago my sister was visiting me and I was showing her some of my fashion illustration books that I had fallen so in love with. One of them features an incredible artist by the name of David Downton. His fashion illustrations are so amazing as are his portraits. There was one image in particular that got my sister's attention. Much of Downton's work seems to have that effect... it grabs you... it just gets your attention. It's perfection!! Since my sister's birthday was soon approaching, I decided to attempt to recreate the image in my own way and give it to her as a gift... which is the image you see in front of you. My attempt to recreate genius... so sad... but I do believe that you have to start somewhere, and mimicking someone else's work (for only a short period of time) is sometimes a good first step to learning a skill. And really, if you're going to try to learn how to do something, you may as well look at the best of the best and examine how they create such beauty.

It's getting late and I still have to frame it for my sister.... crossing my fingers that she likes it!!


No comments:

Post a Comment