Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

First fashion illustration


My first fashion illustration - 2002
 Years ago (2002 to be exact), I had seen an image in a magazine that I totally fell in love with. It was an illustration that was in an add for ... I think it was a fashion design school in New York City. The shape was simple and I thought that with my limited drawing skills I could probably manage to draw it. So I grabbed a piece of charcoal and drew it. I no longer have the original add but the image above is my drawing. At the time, I didn't know what fashion illustration was but have come to discover that this could be considered an example of it. In earlier years I have been known to draw a little but only rarely. What would usually happen is that I would draw something that I thought was crap and would never want to try again... or, I would draw something that I thought was pretty good (must have gotten lucky that day!!) and would be afraid to try again because the next one might suck and I would be totally bummed out... either way, I thought I was too crap to actually put some time and effort into it. I realize now that I was just too lazy... haha, busted!! And I really never had enough belief in myself to really, really try at very much.

Well, as you get older you have the privilege of seeing the error of your ways. I have since realized that all of those things that used to scare the crap out of me are actually the things that I want to do most. So I dabble in many of my interests every so often to keep the creative juices flowing and feed my soul. The beauty of this world is that there is always inspiration around every corner. Fashion illustration is something that has become so, so, so, so, very inspiring to me recently... in particular, Garance Dore ... she's a fantastic artist and blogger!!  I'm not gonna lie... I kind of worship her!!




No comments:

Post a Comment